Thursday, September 18, 2008

ugh... edging

So remember in my last post how I said that all I had to do was the grass lace and the edging on my sheep shawl? I always forget how the edging is often one of the longest and most grueling parts. The edging is knit on from the side in garter. It's very pretty... but doing those little rows over and over again is really tedious. It's really not good travel/lunch time knitting either because there is a wooden dpn involved, and I hate traveling with dpns. Plus I really have to look at it to do it.

I am thinking about starting my next project which will be the Butterfly Garden Shawl (Raverly link). The pattern is knit in garter stitch in the round.... I do like garter stitch, but not enough to go out of my way to make it. In this case because it is knit in the round I would have to purl every other row. So, I think I am going to convert it to stockinette. I think the lace will still work, as there is no lace work on the odd rows. I will be sure to let you all know how it works out! Anyone else have any experience in converting garter to stockinette, or the other way around?

Of course the risk of starting the butterfly shawl, for travel/work knitting, is that I just won't finish the edging on the sheep shawl. Therefore, I think I am going to have to make a strict rule that only sheep shawl knitting will be completed at home, now matter how much more exciting the new project is.

No comments: