Saturday, July 26, 2008

Maggie + Rose

I have been spinning as much as I can possibly allow myself since I got Rose. There are all these silly things that keep getting in my way such as eating, chores and work. It's all very frustrating. I am so happy I went Rose, when I compare her to the other wheels I tried she is my all time fav. She treadles as smooth as butter, the scotch tension is ridiculously sensitive, and her ratios are vast. I am very very pleased with my purchase. I think that in the long run I won't mind the money I spent on her, as I can easily see myself spinning on her for decades to come.

This is what I have spun on her so far. The fiber is a mill end that Brenda thought might be alpaca and wool. It was on sale very cheap so I thought it would be good practice wool for Rose and me.




So far I am happy with it. I think that I really need a small kitchen scale so that I can weigh my fiber so that I know when I am half done spinning it so that I know when to stop my current bobbin and start the second (so that I have two equal amounts of singles for plying.

Speaking of bobbins, holy crap the bobbins are huge! I used to be able to easily fill one of the Julia bobbins in 4 hours of spinning, I think it's gonna take a good 8 hours to fill these babies! Then again I have only been spinning for a couple weeks, and I know that I am going to get remarkably faster as time goes on.

4 comments:

jkleclerc said...

Congrats on the new wheel. Rose is lovely!

The Ninja Knitter said...

Congratulations! I'm glad that you went with the Rose, it's important to love your wheel.

Team Knit said...

She's so pretty! I'm not surpised you are spinning as much as you can, with a beauty like that. congrats!

- Julie

Anonymous said...

That's a really beautiful wheel.